PATRICK HENRY
Reflection
Patrick Henry’s writing struck me as enthusiastic with a very emotional appeal. He uses different tactics, including metaphors, restatement, and parallelism to convince his audience at the Virginia Convention that if they do not fight, they will become no more than slaves to Great Britain. He calls upon the politicians to do their duty and make sure that none of their citizens suffer from their own indecision. I really admire the way Henry was able to wave the threats of a society under the British (like slavery) into his speech.
Diary Entry
Dear Journal,
The days fly by as the country awakens, its citizens spreading their wings. I am proud that we are fighting for our freedom as a nation, and I pray we are successful against the British. I am not sure what our fate will be should we not succeed. I know that, in my heart, no American wants to mean little more than a servant, so I know that, come time, we will take our stand. No more oppression! No more taxes! No more tariffs! I’ve encouraged all those around me—women and children included—to do what they can, for their country is at need.
~P. Henry
THOMAS PAINE
Reflection
Thomas Paine’s essay, “The Crisis” struck me as very logical and persuasive—if you don’t do ‘A’, the ‘B’ will happen. He was one of the first people to use written arguments to try and persuade people to join the revolution, and he was successful, both in his use of “The Crisis” and “Common Sense”. The purpose of “The Crisis” was actually to bolster the morale of soldiers, remind them of what they are fighting for, and persuade them that the struggle is worth the cost. This was interesting to me because he selected a very specific audience—instead of talking to people and politicians like Patrick Henry, Paine went directly to the soldiers.
Diary Entry
Dear Journal,
Several hundred more of “The Crisis” pamphlets were printed and word for the revolution is spreading like wildfire! It is incredible; I had hoped for but not expected such an outcome—everyone is talking about the revolution and what it will mean. So many are prepared to take arms against the British, yet I still fear we will need greater organization and manpower to defeat our oppressors. One man, General George Washington, is just now stepping forward in the revolution and I think he can provide the right organization and tactics to defeat the British. I shall write more later as the effects of “The Crisis” spread—I am wary of walking in blindly and unprepared to the war, but I know we must fight for our freedom!
~T. Paine
PAINE/HENRY QUESTIONS
What do these men have in common?
- They are both fighting for the same cause, and they both use literary techniques like appealing to ethos, logos, and pathos, and parallelism, restatement, repetition, and charged words. However, they are appealing to different audiences and some of their techniques are more prevalent in their different speeches.
Can you see how because these men gave so much, we benefit?
- Yes. These are two examples of men who believed in America with their entire beings—they devoted their lives to raising support and defending their beliefs. The reason they ‘made history’ is because they stood up for what they believed—that the American Revolution was essential.
Can you make any connection/extension to today's political figures? How so?
-Thomas Paine and Patrick Henry were some of the more outspoken revolutionaries, so they might be compared to some of today’s politicians who propose new, fresh ideas. President Obama was considered the candidate for ‘change’, and both Patrick Henry and Thomas Paine were proposing a change, not just in policies, but in their entire system of government.
PERSONAL EXTENSION
How are you working to live out your American Dream?
I exercise my rights to an education, freedom of speech/press/assembly/religion, and many other rights granted to us by the constitution. To live out my personal American dream, I work hard to achieve what I want; a good college education and a good job are top on my list, but it means working hard in school and working hard in the community to get where I want.
What do you do when you hit an obstacle?
Try. “You’re always going to miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Don’t think about you have to loose, think about what you have to gain. Most of the time, you only loose a little bit of dignity, but other doors will open up for you. Get up and move on—what doesn’t kill you will make you stronger.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
F. The Revolutionary Period
Posted by Arianna Nasser at 4:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment